Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups

I am officially in love with making little appetizers in crispy wonton cups. Recently I took one of my favorite flavors - buffalo chicken - and put it inside of a wonton wrapper. The result was nothing short of amazing. They are perfect for parties, light dinners or watching the big game on t.v.
 
 
You can find these wrappers in different shapes and sizes. There are circle ones and large, square ones.  I buy the small squares. The official name is "won ton wrapper," but most folks blend the word "wonton" together when referencing them. There are forty-eight wrappers in the package that I buy and they run around two dollars for the pack.

These Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups embody everything that I love surrounding the flavors of buffalo chicken. They have just enough of a kick without being overly spicy. You get some creaminess (and coolness) from the cream cheese and bleu cheese dressing.  The melted cheese pretty much binds everything together. And, you have some crunch from the chopped celery and green onions. Oh, and the wontons ... they crisp up beautifully and are a great vehicle to hold everything.

Recipe yields 12 cups.


Ingredients:

Non-stick spray
12 small, square wonton wrappers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (or two small ones), cut into small cubes
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot Sauce
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 12 chunks or cubes
6 teaspoons bleu cheese dressing (ranch can be used, if preferred)
1 cup (approx.) shredded Colby-Monterrey jack cheese
Celery
Green onions
Additional dressing, for dipping

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Spray the wells of a 12-count muffin tin with non-stick spray.  Press a wonton wrapper into each well.

Bake in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Set aside.

Heat olive oil in a medium-to-large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken (seasoned with a little salt and pepper) in the oil until just cooked through - stirring occasionally. Try to make sure that any juices are fully evaporated. Turn heat to low.

Add in butter and allow to fully melt. Turn off heat completely. Stir in the hot sauce to fully coat chicken. Set aside.

Drop a small chunk of cream cheese into the bottom of each wonton cup.

Place a spoonful of the chicken into each cup ... being careful not to get much of the liquid into the cups (you don't want buttery hot sauce pouring out of the cups when you bite into them). A small, slotted spoon works great here.

Add a 1/2 teaspoon of the dressing into each cup on top of the chicken.

Sprinkle a pinch of shredded cheese into each cup.

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until everything is bubbly and the wontons are crisp.

Garnish with chopped celery and/or chopped green onions.  Serve with more dressing for dipping and some celery sticks.


NOTE:  Crumbled bleu cheese is a great topper for these, too.


03/05/17: Updated main photo and made clarifications to post.

 

20 comments :

  1. Hi, Kathy! Thank you for following JD! I will have to head on over and check out your Clever Chicks Blog Hop. Thanks for the invite! :)

    Blessings!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love working with wonton wrappers, I'm always looking for new things to try with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Tracy. I adore wonton wrappers, too! I think I could almost do a whole blog on recipes for them! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi I can't seem to find the Won Ton wrappers. The ones I saw on Amazon.com are pretty expensive. Do you have any ideas where I might get some, preferable as cheap as the ones you get? Thanks for any help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cat. I'm not sure what stores are in your area. But, I can tell you that at Wal-Mart, they are in the refrigerated produce section usually near the bottled salad dressings and bagged salads. Another store near me (Kroger) has them just after the produce section in a refrigerated section that housing organic yogurt, milk, cheese ... and vegetarian stuff (like soy dogs, soy cheese, etc). Have you asked a worker at your local store(s)? I've seen them in every grocery store I go to ... from national chains to local to higher-end stores. You should be able to find them. I hope that info helps and good luck! I love using them for so many things and I'm sure you will, too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Angela! I have been looking in all the wrong places in my store (Kroger) I;m sure they carry them. Sorry about the double post, I didn't think the first one went through but you answered both! you're the best!

      Delete
    3. They are also found in the produce section of most grocery stores by the pre-made salad bags.

      Delete
  4. Hi Angela
    I haven't been able to find won ton wrappers except on Amazon, and there are 8 in a pack and pretty expensive. Do you know where I might find them either in a store or on line? Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cat. I've never looked for them online. I responded above as to some ideas of where to look for them in stores. I believe they are available in most grocery stores these days. I wonder if you came across the incorrect item on Amazon. I've never seen them in just an eight pack. Usually, you'll find like, 30 - 50 in the packs I've seen of the small squares or circles.
      Here's a link to what you'd be looking for at Wal-Mart:
      http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nasoya-Won-Ton-Wraps-12-oz/10898815

      Angela

      Delete
  5. Do You Think These Would Still Be Good At Room Temperature? I Ask Because I Would Like To Do Them For The Holidays, Before Everyone Arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't do them too far in advance ... the crisp wontons may get soft. Also, you wouldn't want to leave chicken out for an extended period of time. And, the cheese would harden up a bit. You could assemble these a bit in advance and maybe bake them off real quick as your guests arrive. Or, try keeping them warm in a low temp oven until serving time. :)
      Angela

      Delete
  6. I just made these today and everyone loved them!! They are so crunchy and tasty. I will be making these again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to freeze them and warm up in over next day. I've done that before with other won ton apps. Any reason why i couldn't do it with this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reheat them on a foil-lined baking sheet as leftovers the following day ... and I find them quite good that way. They aren't quite as crisp on the bottom doing it that way, but still great!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I keep mine in the fridge in ziptop baggies ... with all of the air let out.

      Delete
  9. I have always made Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip in the past, but thought I would give these a whirl for a party I hosted this past weekend. They were a huge hit! They look fantastic, are delicious and easy to make. A perfect appetizer. My grocery store was out of wonton wrappers so I used egg roll wrappers and they worked very well. I was surprised at how crispy they stay even once they are filled. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was a hit for you! I'm making them again for a holiday party next weekend cuz we love them so much! Thanks so much for your feedback. :)

      Delete
  10. Looks very tasty, this is definitely going on the menu for this week!

    ReplyDelete